What is a Mommy Makeover?
The goal of a mommy makeover is to restore the shape and appearance of a woman’s body after childbearing. Many women notice changes in their bodies post-pregnancy. There are many areas of the body that can be addressed, most commonly the breasts, abdomen, waist, genitalia and buttocks. A mommy makeover is typically performed as a single stage procedure. There are many techniques used to perform a mommy makeover, and many factors should be taken into consideration when choosing which techniques are best. Possible procedures in a mommy makeover may include:
- Length of Procedure: 2 – 6 hours depending on the extent of the procedures.
- Anesthesia: Light general – usually outpatient.
- Side Effects: Temporary pain. Swelling, soreness, numbness of the involved skin, bruising, tiredness for several weeks or months.
- Risks: Blood clots. Infection. Bleeding under the skin flap. Poor healing resulting in conspicuous scarring or skin irregularity. Need for further surgery.
- Recovery: Patients should expect to return to work within 10 – 14 days.
- Exercise: Patients should abstain from rigorous exercise for the first 2 – 3 weeks following the procedure, after which they may return to low impact exercise increasing to moderate impact at 6 weeks, and a return to full exercise intensity at 8 weeks.
- Fading and Scar Improvement: Depending upon the health of the underlying tissue, the patient should begin to notice a reduction in the appearance of the surgical scar in 6 to 12 months.
- Bruising: Localized bruising of the area will be noticeable for 2-4 weeks following the procedure.
- Swelling: Moderate to significant swelling of the area should be expected for up to 4 weeks following the initial procedure with a reduction and dissipation over the course of the next 2 to 3 months.
- Recovery: the patient can expect to begin noticing improvement within 2 weeks, with a noticeable improvement in appearance at 4 weeks and continued subtle/soft improvements for 6 months.
- Duration of Results: Permanent
- Office Visits: 1st Post Op Visit 3 to 5 days / 2nd Visit 7 to 10 days Anticipated # of office visits: 3 to 8 the first 3 months then yearly.
- Pain Relief: Ibuprofen and narcotics as needed.
One of the benefits of Mommy Makeover surgery is that the procedure can be tailored to meet your individual wants and needs. The type and extent of the surgery depends on which parts of the body you are looking to improve. Listed below are the procedures that can be included and combined as part of Mommy Makeover surgery
With breast augmentation, improvement to the size and shape of the breasts is possible with the use of silicone or saline implants. There are three different ways that the procedure can be performed, which will depend on your desired outcome as well as the type and size of the implant you choose. During your consultation, your surgeon will discuss which method is best for you.
eMastopexy, or breast lift surgery, is a procedure designed to lift, firm, and reshape the breasts. Results are achieved by tightening the surrounding tissue as well as eliminating excess skin. Pregnancy, weight loss, and heredity can cause the breasts to lose shape and firmness. At your initial consultation, your surgeon will determine the technique that will deliver optimal results. Any incisions made will be located in areas that can easily be hidden by clothing, and they will eventually fade or heal over time.
With the use of a tube and vacuum device, unwanted fat deposits can be removed to improve overall body shape. The purpose of liposuction is not to decrease body weight, but to provide a smoother and more contoured profile in areas that do not sufficiently respond to proper diet and exercise. Liposuction is typically performed on the thighs, hips, waist, and back. Other areas that may be treated include the abdomen, buttocks, legs, upper arms, neck, and face.
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is designed to remove excess fat and skin located in the abdominal area. The procedure may also restore muscles in the area that have weakened or separated. This helps to create a firm, smooth abdominal profile. Loose or sagging abdominal skin can be caused by previous surgery, heredity, aging, pregnancy, and significant fluctuations in weight.
The term vaginal rejuvenation covers several different procedures. The most commonly performed procedures that comprise female genital plastic surgery are labiaplasty, clitoral hood reduction, labia majoraplasty, and monsplasty.