- Sun exposure is the number one cause of premature aging and skin cancer. The best way to prevent sun damage is to stay out of the sun.
- Sunscreen should be worn everyday, not just when sunbathing. Hour for hour most people receive more sun damage going to work, walking outside, and sitting by the window than basking in the sun.
- It is best not to go in the sun between 10:00am and 3:00pm.
- Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure.
- Reapply sunscreen often if you are in direct sunlight. Although sunscreen applications are not cumulative (two applications of SPF-15 does not make an SPF-30), reapply protection to the areas that may have rinsed off due to sweating or water exposure.
- Consider using a self-tanner instead of sun tanning. Remember that a tan produced by a self tanning product provides no additional resistance to sun burning!
- A tanning booth is not a safe alternative! They use UVA rays that promote long-term damage, skin cancer, and cause premature aging.
The sun is the #1 enemy of the skin! Prevent aging and skin cancer …