Boulder Plastic Surger offers SkinMedica skin peels that help to rejuvenate your skin and bring back its natural glow. Both light and deep peels are available—SkinMedica Vitalize and Rejuvenize—in order to help improve skin aging, discoloration, and scarring as well as to treat conditions like acne and keratosis.
SkinMedica peel procedures are convenient, affordable, and recommended as a part of a routine skin care regimen.
When you visit Boulder Plastic Surgery for a SkinMedica peel, there are two different options available:
- Vitalize is a quick refresh for your skin, offering a light peel and priced at $150.
- Rejuvenize is a deeper peel that triggers rejuvenation in the dermal layer, priced at $180.
The effects of SkinMedica peels are often clear after the first visit.
What Can SkinMedica Peels Improve?
SkinMedica peels are beneficial both medically and cosmetically by speeding along the skin renewal process.
- Cosmetically, skin renewal can improve fine lines, hyperpigmentation, and pore size.
- Medically, SkinMedica peels are able to improve acne symptoms as well as treating actinic keratoses and benign keratoses.
SkinMedica peels offer a convenient alternative to laser peels and work to improve skin conditions much more rapidly than topical products.
Who Can Benefit From SkinMedica Peels?
Nearly anyone can benefit from SkinMedica peels, with both the Vitalize and Rejuvenize peels working on all Fitzpatrick skin types to remove damaged outer layers of skin and bring fresh, healthy skin to the surface much more quickly than would happen naturally. Skin peels can help with acne, aging lines, and scarring, leaving the skin feeling new and refreshed.
Remember to always consult with your dermatologist before undergoing any skin treatments.
What Are the Differences Between SkinMedica Vitalize and Rejuvenize?
The Vitalize Peel is a powerful chemical peel designed to help fight environmental and sun damage your skin has received as well as stave off the aging process. This SkinMedica peel is the only superficial peel suitable for all Fitzpatrick skin types, resulting in noticeable improvements after just one peel, though a series of peels is recommended for the best results.
The Rejuvenize Peel, on the other hand, goes deeper into the skin and features a penetration enhancer and an anti-irritant built in order to help deliver a controlled exfoliation of damaged skin and bring healthy skin to the surface. By working with the collagen-rich dermal layer, Rejuvenize is able to greatly speed up natural exfoliation processes.
What is the Fitzpatrick Scale?
The Fitzpatrick Scale is a breakdown of skin colors to easily classify their response to UV light, developed by Harvard dermatologist Thomas B. Fitzpatrick. Your Fitzpatrick skin type may affect what types of procedures will be effective on your skin.
- Type I: Pale white skin; red or blonde hair; freckles
- Type II: White skin, fair, blond or red hair, minimal tanning
- Type III: Cream white and fair complexion with any hair/eye color, uniform tanning
- Type IV: Moderate brown and Mediterranean skin tones, always tans well
- Type V: Dark brown and Middle Eastern skin types, rarely burns and tans very easily
- Type VI: Deeply pigmented brown or black, tans easily, never burns
Illuminize and Vitalize peels are appropriate for all Fitzpatrick skin types, however, frequency of application may depend upon which category you fall under.
How Do SkinMedica Peels Work?
While the phrase “chemical peel” may sound a bit scary, the truth is that SkinMedica peels are just a chemical exfoliation that helps to remove dead, dry skin and naturally bring fresh skin cells to the surface.
When you receive a chemical peel, a light or deep peeling agent will be applied to the skin, depending on the desired result:
- Light peeling agents include alpha and beta hydroxyl acids (AHAs and BHAs), which encourage the skin cells to slough off much more quickly than they would do on their own.
- Deep peeling agents include tricholoroacetic acid (TCA) and carbolic acid, aiming to induce renewal in the collagen-rich dermal layer of the skin.
While it can take months for cells to naturally slough away and bring forth fresh skin cells, your skin heals in just a few days after a peel, rapidly speeding up the natural process.
What Can I Expect After the Procedure?
You should notice some effects of a SkinMedica peel almost immediately, including
- Reduction in fine lines, particularly around the mouth and eyes
- Improvement in mild scarring and acne
- Reduced skin discoloration, including sun spots, aging, and blotchiness
For the best results, it is necessary to follow after-procedure care and instructions to the letter. In general, you will want to avoid direct sunlight for as much as four weeks in addition to using regular SPF protection, using SkinMedica moisturizers as necessary. Exposing yourself to ultra-violet light can greatly increase the chance of uneven pigmentation or hyperpigmentation.
Most people notice the best effects when skin peels are a part of their normal dermatological routine; it may take as many as six peels bring about the desired effects, with regular peels every few months afterward.
Learn More About SkinMedica Peels
If you have any questions about SkinMedica Peels, contact Boulder Plastic Surgery at 303-578-4193. A member of the team will be able to answer any questions you have about the procedure, preparation, aftercare, and anything not covered above.