Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer and affects nearly one million Americans every year. When caught in its early stages, skin cancer is extremely easy to treat and cure. It can develop in existing marks on your skin, moles, as well as in unmarked skin. It can develop anywhere on the body. If you are concerned, contact us at Boulder Plastic Surgery today.
There are three most common types, which include basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and malignant melanoma. Basal cell carcinoma is the most common type of skin cancer and the least serious. Squamous cell carcinoma is more serious as it is more aggressive. Malignant melanoma is the least common but most dangerous.
What to Look For:
Look for any change in the size, shape of color of any moles, skin growths, and birthmarks. Watch closely for any changes that occur over a short period of time, such as a month. When evaluating any skin changes take note of:
- A change in symmetry.
- Irregular borders
- A change in color or pigmentation that is not uniform. A spread of color from the edge of the mark onto surrounding skin is often a symptom of melanoma.
- A change in size. Any mark that is larger then 0.25 inches or about the size of a pencil eraser should be checked.
- Any other changes in size or shape or any new itching, tenderness or bleeding
If you have an existing mole, watch for:
- Thickening and raising of a previously flat mole
- A change in the surface, such as scaling, crusting, or bleeding
- A change in the surrounding skin, such as redness, swelling, or new patches of color
- Itching, burning, or tingling
- A change in consistency, such as softening, or pieces that break off easily
Depending on the type, there are a number of available treatments for skin cancer at Boulder Plastic Surgery. For early stage skin cancer, treatment can usually be performed as an outpatient procedure in under an hour.
- Basal cell carcinoma: electrodessication and curettage, cryotherapy, radiation therapy, or complete excision
- Squamous cell carcinoma: excision
- Malignant melanoma: wide excision, lymph node dissection, chemotherapy, immunotherepy
Schedule a Consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery Today
Boulder Plastic Surgery is located at 2525 4th St. in Boulder, CO and offers a variety of options for the treatment of skin cancer. Skin cancer is highly treatable and often completely curable if caught early, so don’t hesitate if you are concerned. Contact us at Boulder Plastic Surgery today to schedule your consultation. You can also contact us by phone at (303)443-2277 for more information.