Proper diet and nutrition are important parts of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Eating the right foods ensures that your body is receiving all of the essential nutrients you need to keep your immune system as strong as possible to fight off diseases and fight infection. The doctors at Boulder Plastic Surgery encourage a healthy lifestyle at all times, but it is especially important to take extra care with your diet and nutrition both before and after having any kind of surgical procedure. Not only will maintaining optimum physical health help your body heal faster after surgery, but there are also certain foods, supplements, and drugs that should be avoided altogether to avoid any surgical complications or hinder the healing process.
Prior To and After Surgery…
Here is a list of things to do in the weeks before and after surgery to ensure optimum physical health. These practices will help your body supply the proper nutrients to promote blood clotting, healing, and avoid inflammation or other complications:
- Avoid herbal supplements
- Do not take any aspirin for at least two weeks
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to surgery
- Drink at least 64 oz. of water per day
- Eat small, frequent meals about every 3-5 hours
- Do not skip meals
- Be sure each meal contains low amounts of fat, salt, and sugar
- Each meal should contain low sugar carbohydrates such as fruits and vegetables, with small amounts of lean protein and monosaturated fat
- Do not eat more protein than would fit in the palm of your hand
- ALWAYS consult your physician with any questions or areas of uncertainty you may have.
Boulder Plastic Surgery Promotes Total Well-Being
The physicians at Boulder Plastic Surgery are dedicated to the complete well-being of their patients in the greater Denver and Boulder, CO area, with attention to both the physical and emotional recovery aspects of plastic surgery. Schedule an appointment for a consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery today. We perform surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures that include face lifts, breast augmentation, tummy tucks, liposuction, laser facial treatments, facial injections, chemical peels, and more. You’ll look and feel your best when you’re in the hands of the professionals at Boulder Plastic Surgery!