Many women who have undergone a mastectomy also choose to undergo breast reconstruction. Breast reconstruction can help women restore their confidence post-surgery, but there are several factors to keep in mind before opting for the procedure.
- The decision to have breast reconstructive surgery is completely up to you. Some women have been told that reconstruction is not physically an option for them, but due to medical advancements, that may not be true anymore.
- Finding a surgeon you can trust is essential. If you are not happy with the results, you should feel comfortable enough to express those concerns with your doctor.
- If you are denied by your insurance, be sure to fight back, as breast cancer reconstruction should be something that is covered by insurance. Since each state has their own requirements, it is important to find out how many surgeries your insurance covers, which kind of procedures are covered, and if there is a dollar limit.
- Exercise is a significant component of healthy living and building up strength. It is perfectly fine to start off slowly and increase your workout as your body gets stronger. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins, which are very good for you.
- Knowing how far you are willing to go to achieve the results that you want is also key. What is most important is that you feel good about yourself. Some women are perfectly pleased with the results after their first surgery, and some are not. If you are not comfortable with your body image after the reconstruction, find out what your options are.
Schedule a Consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery
If you have been considering breast reconstructive surgery, feel free to set up a consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery by calling (303) 578-4193. Dr. Kuisle and Dr. Hartley have 50 years of combined experience and are each certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. At the consultation, we will see if you are a good candidate for the procedure as well as what course of action will be best for you.