The procedure for neck tightening is called a cervicoplasty or a platysmaplasty. This surgery is fairly common because one of the first areas of the body impacted by the aging process is the neck. This often results in a turkey wattle, horizontal creases, fatty jowls and vertical banding. This can make the individual feel much older than their true age. The appearance of the neck and the contour for the jawline is improved by tightening the muscles of the neck and the skin. In some instances, this procedure is combined with a facelift, liposuction or other surgeries. The procedure is also effective by itself. There are a lot of considerations prior to having this procedure. The most common reasons to undergo the surgery include:
• Feeling the neck has become too fat
• The appearance of a turkey wattle making the individual feel much older
• Wrinkles and excess skin on the neck
• The loss of the distinct jawline of the past and the desire to have it restored
• Excess fat on the neck
• The desire for a distinct jawline and a sleeker neck
• The development of lines and folds on the neck
• The desire for more separation from the neck to the face
The procedure can make significant improvements to both the neck and the jawline. This provides the individual with a younger-looking profile. The best candidates for this procedure are in good overall health, have realistic expectations and have a positive attitude. There are several different aspects to this procedure designed to improve the appearance of the neck. They may include:
• The removal of excess skin
• Tightening the skin on the neck
• Improving bands or excess fullness
• The removal of excess fat through liposuction
• Altering the muscles of the neck
• The removal of excess fat beneath the chin
• Lifting and tightening techniques
The first step is to consult with a surgeon. This is when you will discuss your specific goals and the changes you want to make. The type of procedure is dependent on the specific changes you want made. If the main concern is a turkey wattle, surgery may be recommended by the surgeon. This procedure accesses the platysma muscle in the neck. In certain cases, some of the muscle is removed during the surgery.
There are also newer procedures available enabling the surgeon to make smaller incisions in conjunction with the use of state-of-the-art tools. It is very important to discuss all the potential options during the initial consultation. The type of anesthesia used for the surgery is a decision made between the individual and the surgeon. General anesthesia is a good option if the individual wants to be asleep during the course of the procedure. We tend to use light general anesthesia during our procedures. It is important to understand the different options prior to making a decision. The comfort level of the individual must be taken into consideration.
Liposuction is often the first step to neck tightening. This begins when the surgeon makes a little incision so the excess fat can be removed. Once the fat is gone, the neck appears smoother, slimmer and tighter. The average neck lift procedure requires about three to four hours. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the surgeon regarding caring for the treatment area correctly. When the issue is excess skin on the neck, portions of the skin are removed by the surgeon. The skin can then be lifted into the correct position prior to being secured. The result is a firmer, tighter and smoother neck.
The Procedure for Neck Tightening
When the neck only requires minimal contouring, this can often be accomplished with just liposuction. In many instances, a full neck lift is necessary to meet the goals of the individual. The procedure begins when the surgeon makes incisions in a location that largely depends on which procedure the individual has chosen. The platysma muscle can be tightened. The surgeon can carefully remove the excess skin and fat. The skin and tissue are repositioned and secured in place. Liposuction can be used by itself when the quality of the skin is good and only fat removal is necessary.
A much more extensive procedure is necessary if the signs of aging are significant. This includes issues with the jowls, sagging skin, a turkey wattle, a prominent platysma muscle and excess fat. This type of procedure can correct all of the above issues. Although there may be some scarring, it should be minimal. There are different techniques used for carrying out the procedure. This will depend on the specifics of the surgery and what corrections are being made. In many cases, the scars are not visible, with improvements occurring in the months that follow.
The specific goals of the individual and the evaluation of the surgeon determine which procedure will be performed. This is discussed during the initial consultation. The individual will be told if they are a good candidate for a neck tightening procedure. The goals and expectations of the individual will be considered in the recommendations made by the surgeon. It is extremely important the surgeon is fully informed regarding any medical conditions. In some cases, an additional or alternate treatment may be effective. The individual will be discussing their entire medical history with the surgeon. This information generally includes all previous surgeries, medical conditions from the past and the present, all current medications, supplements and vitamins and any allergies.
The recommendation of the surgeon takes the physical characteristics of the individual and their goals into consideration. The experience, training and skill of the surgeon are important to help ensure the best possible outcome for the procedure. The surgeon will explain the procedure or procedures in more detail. This includes:
• The approach the surgeon will use
• The options for the location of the surgery and the type of anesthesia
• The expected results from the surgery
• The type of procedure
• The preparation required for the procedure
• Showing before and after pictures for similar procedures
• The anticipated outcome of the surgery
• The financial investment necessary for the individual
• Answering all questions regarding the procedure
It is important for the individual to be active regarding the procedure. There are a lot of questions the individual should ask during the initial consultation. These include:
• Asking if their expectations are realistic and reasonable
• Asking about the location of the scars and if they will be visible
• Finding out the potential costs regarding the procedure
• Asking about the length of the recovery period
• Asking if they are a good candidate for the desired procedure
• Learning what the individual needs to do to achieve the best possible results
• Finding out what type of anesthesia is recommended by the surgeon
• Making certain all expectations are reasonable or setting new goals
• Asking to look at before and after photographs for similar procedures
• Asking when regular activities can be resumed
Preoperative instructions will be provided by the surgeon to ensure all questions have been answered. Any additional questions not covered should be asked. A complete medical history will be taken. A physical examination is performed to make certain the individual is healthy and a good candidate for the procedure. Prior to the procedure, the individual will be asked to perform the following steps.
• The individual will be instructed to stop smoking a set amount of time prior to surgery to help ensure better healing.
• Hydration is extremely important for every type of surgery. Hydration is also important to help ensure a safe and faster recovery.
• The individual should stop taking certain herbal medications, some anti-inflammatory drugs and aspirin prior to the surgery.
A neck lift and neck tightening can be performed on an outpatient basis. This is especially true when only liposuction is required. When the surgery is more extensive, the individual will most likely have to remain for a short inpatient stay. It is important to make arrangements in advance for a family member or a friend to drive the individual home from the surgical facility. It is a good idea to ask this individual to stay for a night or two. The length of the procedure depends on if a manipulation of the platysma muscle is necessary and the complexity of the surgery.
The individual will be given medications to ensure they are as comfortable as possible throughout the entire procedure and recovery procedure. In most cases, light general anesthesia is used. This being said, other types may be used in certain situations. The safety of the individual during the surgery is ensured by monitors checking on how much oxygen is in the blood, the pulse, blood pressure and heart rate. The plan discussed prior to the procedure will be followed by the surgeon.
The Benefits of Neck Tightening
The skin on the neck is vulnerable. This area is impacted by the environment, heredity and the aging process. Unfortunately, this particular area is often impervious to the efforts of a healthy diet and a good exercise program. A lot of individuals experience deep creases, skin laxity, softening muscles and fatty deposits developing on the jawline and neck as time passes. Some individuals experience neck cording, also referred to as platysmal bands. These bands can go from the chin all the way down to the base of the neck. There are a lot of options and benefits when it comes to the treatments available to correct these conditions. The neck can be rejuvenated to appear natural, more youthful and tailored to the specific goals and unique features of every individual. Neck surgery offers numerous benefits including:
• Reducing the look of wrinkles and fine lines
• Decreasing the amount of excess skin
• Contouring the jawline and the chin
• Minimizing the look of platysmal bands
• Tightening the underlying muscles and the skin
In many instances, facial liposuction provides additional benefits for the neck surgery. This is because liposuction removes fat pockets to ensure the shape of the lower face is more youthful and aesthetically appealing. Numerous individuals decide to combine other enhancements with the neck lift.
One of the first things that betrays the age of the individual is the appearance of the neck. This is due to the vulnerability of the delicate skin in the area. The neck is more vulnerable than almost any other part of the body due to factors in the environment, pollution and damage from the sun.
The natural loss of firmness and elasticity in the skin from the aging process means the neck often shows the appearance of age before the rest of the body. Many of these changes are seen as being unattractive. As the production of elastin and collagen begins to slow, a lot of the original plumpness and firmness is lost from the skin. This is what causes the skin to start to sag, become loose and require tightening. This is often referred to as a turkey neck because the neck is said to resemble this bird. As the wrinkles and lines begin to accumulate, the skin can start to gather and fold. During the same period of time, the facial skin starts losing its original elasticity. This impacts the lower face, often resulting in the formation of jowls. This makes the neck appear even older.
Unless the individual begins wearing scarves or a turtleneck throughout the year, it is almost impossible to hide the skin on the neck. The good news is a smoother, tighter and younger-appearing neck can be achieved with a neck lift. It is important that the surgeon is experienced with this procedure. The benefits for this procedure are numerous and include:
• When the skin of the neck is pulled tighter, the result is the elimination of wrinkles and lines. This smooths out the skin and provides a more youthful appearance.
• When the underlying muscles are tightened, the appearance of loose skin is decreased. This makes it appear the individual has lost weight.
• A neck lift offers a rejuvenated, younger, more refreshed and contoured appearance. This is an excellent option for anyone who is unhappy with the appearance of their neck.
• The procedure eliminates all of the excess skin from the neck. Not only does this provide excellent neck tightening, but there is also an improvement in the general appearance of the individual.
• A neck lift offers benefits not attainable through just exercise and diet. Although this route can often transform numerous parts of the body, it generally has no impact at all on the neck. The only way to see a substantial improvement in the appearance of the neck is with this procedure.
• When an individual likes the way they look, their self-esteem and confidence will increase. Improving the appearance of the neck is a good way to handle numerous issues to provide a more attractive appearance.
If you are interested in neck tightening, please reach out to Boulder Plastic Surgery so your personal consultation can be scheduled at our office in Boulder, CO. Contact us today to book your appointment and get started. We look forward to hearing from you!