Trauma, sun damage, pregnancy, and aging can all lead to a number of kinds of scarring, which can seriously impact your self-esteem. If you’re seeking relief from skin trauma, we recommend one of the three main scar reduction procedures.
Scar Reduction Techniques
There are a number of treatments available that can diminish the appearance of a variety of types of scars. At Boulder Plastic surgery, we specialize in three of the most effective methods available:
- Laser Scar Reduction – Broad Band Light, also known as BBL/IPL can be used to gradually lighten the appearance of new scars. This treatment uses low-frequency photothermal energy to reduce the bulk and appearance of scar tissue.
- Scar Reduction Surgery – For larger, more dramatic scars, a complete excision of the scar is made and the area is re-sutured by a skilled plastic surgeon. This can smooth out the jagged, thick appearance of a poorly healed scar.
- Scar Reduction Creams, Injections, and Therapy – The use of special creams, injections, or other topical therapies, can have dramatic effects in certain cases, eliminating the need for surgery.
Acne Scar Reduction
Although most people have problems with acne as teenagers, for some, the problem persists into adulthood. Adult acne in particular is known to leave behind pock-marks, which can be especially traumatizing. Some of the methods available to treat persistent acne and the permanent damage it can cause to skin include:
- MicroLaser Peel – This specialized laser peel removes the uppermost layers of tissue, so that healthy, rejuvenated skin can grow back in its place.
- Profractional Laser – This unique laser treatment stimulates the production of collagen to help plump and rejuvenate the skin, smoothing the appearance of acne scars.
- Broad Band Light – Used to treat scarring as well as active acne outbreaks, BBL uses a pulsed infrared light to minimize the oil secretions responsible for acne outbreaks. It helps to reduce the appearance of scarring by increasing collagen production while reducing the redness of the treated tissue.
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about how scar reduction can help you get your confidence back, contact our offices at (303) 578-4193 and schedule an appointment with one of our board certified plastic surgeons. We’ll be happy to discuss your options and help you choose the right procedure for you.