There are many factors to consider when choosing which breast implant is right for you. Most patients opt for breast implants to increase their size or to make their breasts more proportionate to their bodies. Before undergoing breast augmentation, it is important to speak with a highly experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon that will explain the benefits and risks involved with each option to find which one is perfect for you.
Types of Breast Implants
One of the biggest decisions a woman that has opted for breast augmentation has to make is whether to go with silicone or saline breast implants. Each comes with several advantages and disadvantages that must be considered.
- Silicone implants: If you are in search of more natural-looking breast implants, those made of silicone offer a feel that is similar to breast tissue. Compared with saline implants, silicone implants tend to collapse less when they are held upright. However, if a silicone implant ruptures, it is much harder to detect, often requiring an expensive MRI scan.
- Saline implants: With saline implants, a smaller incision is required. They are inserted empty and then filled with sterile salt water. If a saline implant happens to rupture, the body will be able to safely absorb the saline over a couple of days.
Breast Implant Sizes
Many patients are concerned that they will end up choosing implants that are too small or too large. Opting for breast implants that are too big can lead to additional surgeries, longer recovery time, and added expenses. Bringing along photos to your consultation is quite beneficial, but keep in mind that every body is different. You will not look exactly like the pictures you show to your surgeon. When determining a size, be sure to consider the following factors:
- Are you searching for a “natural” or “fake” look?
- Would aspects of your lifestyle, such as athletics, be affected by choosing a larger implant size?
- What are the risks involved?
Should I Get Breast Implants?
The decision to undergo breast augmentation should come after careful consideration and professional guidance. When you come in for a consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery, our surgeons will let you know whether or not you are a good candidate for this procedure. They will also help you decide which type of implants will best suit your needs and desires. Schedule a consultation today!