There are several causes of varicose veins, but Boulder Plastic Surgery wants you to know that you don’t have to simply live with them. Varicose veins are malfunctioning veins that no longer allow proper blood flow. A faulty valve within the vein causes blood to pool within the vein, resulting in a twisted, bulging appearance and discoloration. While some patients may experience some mild swelling or aching with their varicose veins, they’re mostly innocuous and are simply unsightly.
Varicose veins can occur anywhere in the body, but are most common in the lower extremities of the body due to the pressure the body’s weight puts on the lower region. Varicose veins also tend to have a strong genetic factor, but there are other causes that include:
- Obesity – Since varicose veins are caused by added pressure on faulty veins, increased body weight exacerbates the problem.
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time – Remaining stagnant hinders good blood circulation, which can give rise to varicose veins.
- Pregnancy – Pregnancy significantly increases blood volume and body weight in a very short amount of time. Subsequent pregnancies only increase the likelihood of more varicose veins forming.
- Age and gender – Women are more likely to suffer from varicose veins, especially as they get older. This is probably due to pregnancy, as well as women’s tendency to carry their weight in their hips and legs.
- Time – Once you develop varicose veins, they will only get worse if left untreated. In extreme cases, this can cause major discomfort or ulcers.
We Can Treat Your Varicose Veins
Since genetics play such a major role in the cause of varicose veins, there’s not too much you can do to prevent them. However, the doctors at Boulder Plastic Surgery are here with innovative treatments to diminish the look and discomfort associated with varicose veins. No matter where your varicose veins are, we can effectively diagnose you and treat them with cutting-edge laser treatments or sclerotherapy injections to collapse the malfunctioning veins.
You don’t have to live with varicose veins, no matter what the cause! Schedule an appointment for a consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery today, and our board-certified plastic surgeons will discuss the best course of action to treat your varicose veins.