Be Smart in Your Post-Liposuction Care
Thanks to the miracles of modern science, many of us can turn to cosmetic procedures when diet and exercise are not delivering the results we need. If you are looking to go ahead with a liposuction surgery in the Boulder area, then we hope you visit us at Boulder Plastic Surgery. With over 38 years of combined surgical experience, we strive to maximize results and provide the safest, most advanced procedures in the field.
Liposuction allows you to enhance your body shape by removing unwelcome stores of fat that are not decreasing with diet and exercise. If you do have liposuction performed, it is very important to follow post-operative instructions carefully. While your doctor will give you a specific recovery regimen, we have outlined some basic instructions below to help you achieve your best results and minimize recovery time.
How to Care for Yourself After Liposuction Surgery
- Do not plan any activities or tasks after your surgery — when you get home, you just need to rest and relax for the rest of the day. Most of your pain and physical limitations will decrease after the first few days. You can walk around carefully, but you’ll need to avoid heavy exertion for a month or two.
- You can eat what you’d like if you feel ok. If you feel nauseous, just drink clear liquids until you feel better.
- Take your pain meds! They are prescribed because pain is common after surgery, so use them, and make sure you eat first to avoid an upset stomach. You will probably need them all day and night for the first five days or so, but then only at night for the next week or two.
- Do not sit or stand without moving for long periods of time for the first day after your procedure. Changing positions will decrease the chance of blood pooling in your extremities and causing complications.
- For the first week after your procedure, keep your legs elevated when sitting or lying down.
Bandages and the Operative Site
You need to leave the liposuction garment in place for five days. Do not fully immerse yourself in water during this time — just spot-clean or sponge bathe your body. You will come back to the office for a dressing change about 4-6 days after your procedure. We will also fit you for a compression garment that you will wear for six weeks. This will optimize the results of your procedure.
You will need to carefully rub and massage the site of the operation several times per day after your first visit back in the office. It is normal to see swelling and bruising for a few weeks.
Causes for Alarm
If you have nausea that will not go away, a temperature higher than 101, swelling that is excessive or not symmetrical, or uncontrollable pain, then please check with your surgeon as soon as possible.
Schedule a Liposuction Consultation With Us Today
If you have been considering liposuction, please visit us at Boulder Plastic Surgery. You can schedule your consultation online or call to speak with one of our professional and friendly representatives.