Important Pre-Surgery Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Scheduling a surgical procedure can be stressful and uncertain, and here at Boulder Plastic Surgery we want to help ensure that your experience is as stress free as possible. Whether you are considering a facelift procedure in Boulder or gallbladder surgery in Denver, there are some key pieces of information you should get ahead of time. To make the experience more positive, we offer this beneficial advice to those considering any type of surgery.
Patients often forget the questions they want to ask once they start speaking with their surgeon, so it is important to write them down and bring them with you to your pre-surgery appointment. Below are a few questions that can help you understand the surgery process and ease your mind.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before Surgery
- What do I need to do to prepare for this procedure? You may need to stop taking current medications, cease eating or drinking certain things, or even fast prior to surgery. You may also be asked to refrain from smoking for a certain period of time.
- How is the procedure going to be performed? Ask about your options. Is the surgery available through laparoscopy, or only through larger incisions? Is the surgery performed with lasers or other tools? Understanding the more preferable methods will help ease your mind.
- What type of anesthesia will be needed? This will depend on the surgery, with the three main types of anesthesia being: local, regional, or general. You may also be given medication to reduce nausea caused by anesthesia.
- Am I going to need blood transfusions? If you need blood transfusions for the procedure, you may want to provide your own blood ahead of time, which is called an autotransfusion. You will need to do this two weeks before the procedure if you choose this route.
- What are the common complications of this procedure? Determine if the surgery is a temporary solution or a permanent fix to your issue. Find out what kind of side effects you may have to deal with, and ask how pain will be managed after surgery, as well as how long pain can be expected to last.
Boulder Plastic Surgery Understands Pre-Surgery Concerns and is Available for Consultations
Our caring staff understands the concerns and questions patients have when thinking about surgical procedures. Our attentive team is available to answer questions, schedule appointments, and set your mind at ease. Contact us through phone or by computer, and we will be happy to assist you!