Most of us have scars. Whether from a traumatic injury, acne, or a prior surgical procedure, scars can happen to anyone. When broken tissue heals, it can be unpredictable and can leave behind permanent, disfiguring marks that can have a negative impact on a person’s self-image.
There are a variety of scar reduction procedures that can be performed quickly – and with little recovery time – that can assist in improving the appearance of scars and help you to live without the emotional impact that can accompany obvious scarring.
At Boulder Plastic Surgery, we perform several types of scar revision treatments:
- Scar Reduction Creams, Injections, or Therapy – A non-invasive course of treatment where cortisone is injected or applied topically, or a special tape is used to reduce the appearance of the scar.
- Laser Scar Reduction – Gradual lightening of the affected tissues through the use of a Broad Band Light (BBL or IPL) can be used to minimize redness of new scars. Laser scar reduction uses low-frequency photothermal energy to slowly cause a reduction in bulk and discoloration of the scar tissue.
- Scar Revision Surgery – The area of scarring is re-excised, the scar tissue removed, and the wound reclosed to improve the look of a jagged or uneven scar. Employing a technique known as “Z” Plasty, the original deformity is removed and replaced by a geometric line that is broken up, leaving a smaller scar that is far less apparent.
While there is no way to completely remove scar tissue, these procedures can greatly reduce the appearance of existing scars, allowing patients to restore their self-confidence.
Treatment for Acne Scars
At Boulder Plastic Surgery, we also offer scar reduction techniques for acne scars. There are multiple options available, which include:
- BBL – In addition to decreasing the look of acne scars, this intense pulsed infrared light therapy can also treat live acne.
- MicroLaser Peel – A laser is used to eliminate the outermost layer of acne scars plus surrounding tissue so that healthier skin can develop in its place.
- Profractional – This form or laser scar reduction stimulates the production of collagen to plump the skin and smooth out the scar.
Learn More About Scar Reduction at Boulder Plastic Surgery
To learn more about the options available to you to reduce the appearance of scarring, contact us today at (303) 578-4193. Our board certified plastic surgeons can help you decide which of the many options are right for you.