Whether it’s for strictly cosmetic purposes or to rectify a physical deformity, plastic surgery for teenagers is not uncommon in the United States. In fact, teenagers that undergo plastic surgery to augment a physical feature they’re unhappy with oftentimes benefits them both socially and emotionally. If you’re considering plastic surgery for your teenager in Denver, the board certified plastic surgeons at Boulder Plastic Surgery will be able to assess your teen’s individual needs, options, and realistic results that can be achieved through plastic surgery.
It is important to realize that some procedures have certain age restrictions or ideal timeframes in which they can be performed. Since teenagers’ bodies are still maturing and changing, some procedures may require waiting until the teen is older in order to achieve optimum results. Some procedures simply aren’t legal until a patient is 18. Your doctor will be able to give you all the details about your teen’s surgical options. Check out some of the most common plastic surgeries performed on teenagers that you can discuss with the plastic surgeons at Boulder Plastic Surgery:
- Rhinoplasty – Nose jobs are performed to straighten/reshape the bridge, correct bumps, or enable breathing. Patients should be between the ages of 15 and 17 for this procedure.
- Otoplasty – Pinning back protruding ears can be performed anywhere after the age of 5.
- Breast augmentation – Due to federal regulations, a teenager cannot have saline breast implants until she is 18, and cannot have silicone implants until 21, even when used in rectifying breast asymmetry. However, a younger teenager can have breast augmentation to either reduce the size of both breasts due to pain, or one breast due to asymmetry. Sometimes these cases can be covered by insurance.
- Male breast reduction – Teenage boys with large breasts, known as gynecomastia, can also benefit from breast reduction. This is often covered by insurance as well.
- Acne scar removal – Possibly one of the simplest and the most noninvasive cosmetic procedure, acne scarring can be treated through skin resurfacing treatments such as microdermabrasion, laser skin resurfacing, and chemical peels.
Schedule an appointment for a consultation at Boulder Plastic Surgery today or call us directly at 303-443-2277, and see if your teenager can benefit from plastic surgery. We serve the greater Denver, CO area at our clinical office located at 2525 4th St. in Boulder.